Foolish Hobgoblin

Then

" [I] did have a relationship with Ms. Lewinsky that was not appropriate. In fact, it was wrong. It constituted a critical lapse in judgment and a personal failure on my part for which I am solely and completely responsible."

[...]

"This matter is between me, the two people I love most - my wife and our daughter - and our God," Clinton said.

[...]

"Wasn't that pathetic? I tell you, what a jerk," Hatch was overheard saying Monday night to his entourage as he left a television studio in Utah where he had given a number of interviews.


Now

"I cannot remember what was happening 20 years ago, 15 years ago. But some of the things sounds like me, which I was the first one to come out and say, you know, some of the things could have happened, I want to apologize," Schwarzenegger said.


"We have to look at people who they are today, not what they may have done wrong in the past," Hatch told the National Press Club Friday. "There isn't a person in this room or anywhere else in the world who is perfect, who has lived perfectly."

[...]

In answer to a question posed by reporters Friday, Hatch noted that Schwarzenegger has said most of the groping allegations detailed between 1975 and 2000 in a Thursday Los Angeles Times story are not true "but he's apologized for acting improperly at times in the past."


Why do you suppose it is that Republicans have such a hard time finding success as intellectuals?