Biden on promises

Biden on promises

by digby


Gloria Borger interviewed him about his ability to make deals and his relationship with the president. I thought this was interesting:

BIDEN: Well, look, I - I think what you hope - and he - he used this phrase one time, that, um, uh, we, uh, we kind of make up for whatever weaknesses the other guy has. And I've got a hell of a lot more weaknesses than he does.

Um, the one place that I - I just have had a lot of experience, um, with all of the people we deal with. And, um, you know, it - everybody talks about well, it's, you know, it's back slapping, it's - it's old pol - it's not. It's trust. It's simple, simple trust. Find a single person - and you know this town better - who will look you in the eye and say I don't trust Joe Biden. I've built my whole career, my whole career, on never, never, never doing anything with someone I'm dealing with in the opposite position without being completely straightforward with them.

And it's just that I've been around longer and they know me. And - but they also know I speak for him. And he will keep whatever commitment I make on his behalf.

I wonder if that applied to commitments he makes to the people? Commitments like this:

"Hey, by the way, let's talk about Social Security," Biden said after a diner at The Coffee Break Cafe in Stuart, VA expressed his relief that the Obama campaign wasn't talking about changing the popular entitlement program.

"Number one, I guarantee you, flat guarantee you, there will be no changes in Social Security," Biden said, per a pool report. "I flat guarantee you."

I'm going to guess no. But hey, keeping your word to the American people is one thing --- Mitch McConnell is a trusted friend.


.